Encouraging Orderly Growth/Development

LAFCO considers annexations to Cities and Special Districts and proposals for the formation of new local governmental agencies including Cities and Special Districts.  LAFCO also determines the Sphere of Influence, which is a plan for the future boundaries of a City or Special District.

Discouraging Urban Sprawl

Urban sprawl can best be described as irregular and disorganized growth occurring without apparent design or plan.  By discouraging sprawl, LAFCO limits the misuse of land resources and promotes a more efficient system of services by local governmental agencies.


If you find any problems with our website broken links, links that bring up an incorrect document, etc.,  please let us know by sending an email to the Commission Clerk,Imarquez@slolafco.com.

 Regular LAFCO hearings are held on the third Thursday of each month at 9:00 a.m. in the Board of Supervisors Chambers at the County Government Center on the corner of Santa Rosa and Monterey Streets in the City of San Luis Obispo.

Promoting Efficient Services


LAFCO reviews proposals based on a variety of factors including an agencies ability to provide services,  infrastructure capacity, funding and the need for services in a particular area.

Preserving Prime Agriculture Land

LAFCO considers the impact that a proposal may have on existing agricultural lands with focus on protecting prime agricultural lands.  San Luis Obispo LAFCO has adopted specific policies regarding the preservation of agricultural resources.

Agenda for LAFCO Meeting February 20, 2020

Topics of Interest:

Press Release: 2020 LAFCO Directory of Local Agencies

Study Session: Affordable Housing in SLO County PowerPoints

​​The Local Agency Formation Commission serves the residents of San Luis Obispo County and the State of California by encouraging the orderly formation of local agencies based on local conditions and circumstances.

Local Agency Formation Commission

1042 Pacific Street, Suite A - San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

 Tel:   (805) 781 - 5795​

​Fax:   (805) 788 - 2072